Thursday, March 19, 2015

Little Kids With God

I've noticed something funny about little kids. Little, up to seven, maybe ten- sometimes. They accept what they're told (factually).

They don't know that adults make mistakes. That we're weak and foolish, we don't know everything, we tell lies.

But we expect that, right? We expect them to believe the things we tell them. And it's even a little jarring when they don't, anymore.



I went to a concert at BJU, a lady in a long dress singing "Good Night, Moon." The words of the picture book I used to love.

"Goodnight room
Goodnight moon
Goodnight cow jumping over the moon
Goodnight light
And the red balloon."

It was surprisingly beautiful.

And I thought about how trusting little kids are. How they believe that everything in their room has a personality, feelings, they kiss their teddy bears goodnight. They trust the lady whispering "hush", that it's best for them to hush. That they're safe and that they'll wake up again in the same safe room. That everything will be alright.

Fits notwithstanding, they believe that you know best and that you are doing what's best for them.

I'm trying to be a little kid with God. Like He doesn't make mistakes, He isn't weak and foolish. He knows everything. He doesn't tell lies.

The childhood illusion that's painfully broken and discarded. We recycle. Please place your illusions in the blue bin, new cynicisms are manufactured daily.  

But I think that the expectations of children are misplaced, they're really meant for God. Because He's the only one who can fulfill them.

God says, "But sexual immorality and all impurity or covetousness must not even be named among you." But people argue, because they're adults now, and they know better. It's okay, expected, even admirable for consenting (loving) adults. May I see your ID please? 

Because when we're 18 we know more than God. 

Listen to me. Your parents may be wrong. But God is never wrong. You will never know more than God. Not even close. 

You may never understand why, like a little kid doesn't understand why their parents tell them not to touch that, to come back, to run. But he knows his parents are concerned for his well-being. How? From experience.

"If you who have fallible parents trusted them to do what was best for you, how much more shall you trust your unfailing, all-seeing, all-knowing, everlastingly loving Heavenly Father?" (Not from the Bible) (I made it up).  

Sometimes when He says No, it is really really hard. But hard does not mean bad. Hard does not mean impossible. Just picture yourself as that little kid, right now. You're cozy warm, full, almost asleep, and you hear your mother whispering "hush", and you trust her with everything in you because she has always been good to you. You know that nothing bad will happen to you in that room. If your mother asked you to do something hard, you'd know she wasn't trying to hurt you. You'd believe that she was trying to help you in some way. And that's the way God loves you. He loves you even more. I'll prove it to you.

"As one whom his mother comforts, so I will comfort you." Isaiah 66:13

"Can a woman forget her nursing child And have no compassion on the son of her womb? Even these may forget, but I will not forget you. - Isaiah 49:15

"O LORD, my heart is not proud, nor my eyes haughty; Nor do I involve myself in great matters, Or in things too difficult for me. Surely I have composed and quieted my soul; Like a weaned child rests against his mother, My soul is like a weaned child within me." -Psalm 131:1-2

No comments:

Post a Comment