Tuesday, October 28, 2014

I Am a New Creature

I discovered something, something important, on the banks of the Reedy River, Saturday. It was a day on which I felt like a total mess. It was all these old habits and timewasting and dwelling on what people might think about me, a freaking war in my mind. When some people come into my head, my thoughts go like this: leavemealoneleavemealoneleavemealone (literally) because in that moment, I don't ever want to hear from them or see them again.

So I went outside. Sunshine bringing out the vibrant greens and browns on the Swamp Rabbit Trail. It was like walking into a postcard.

I know by experience that it's not a good idea to go to the park on Saturday. When I go to the park, it's for solitude. And people invade that solitude, and I get irritated. And it becomes more and more likely that I'll demand to know why they're there, tromping all over my rocks and sloshing around in my water, when- if you want to get really technical about it- they have just as much right to be there as I do.

So I stopped halfway and I found a tiny waterfall, a little snag in the river. And there's something about flowing water that makes me want to stay. And I sat there for a long time and one runner asked me if I was okay and one runner just ran past me, and besides those two runners I didn't see anyone for over an hour.

An hour! And you were already depressed about time-wasting! Yes, but there's this- "time spent with God is never wasted." And there's something about talking out loud to God, and it's just more natural out in nature.

And here is what he said to me- not audibly- but I could not have come up with this myself after years of feeling like such a mess. "STOP characterizing yourself as the way you used to be." Yes, the things like "You never do what you're supposed to do, or stick with anything." "You're a failure." "You're a terrible example to the kids at your church." Or whathaveyou. Because- "You are a new creature."

I learned 2 Corinthians 5:17 a long time ago. But maybe I didn't really believe it.

Jeremiah 31:34. Hebrews 8:12. "I will remember their sins no more."

I have decided not to characterize myself in any forgotten way. And I will not dwell on the things people might think about me. It just doesn't matter any more. IamanewcreatureIamanewcreatureIamanewcreature.

There are many, many people who have been examples of Godliness to me. Why? Because they simply obeyed God. They served Him with their lives. They didn't let past failures drag them down. Sometimes I have thought that being honest and real is the most important thing. But most of these people didn't talk about the things they struggled with, or discuss all the difficulties of the Christian life. And they were real.

Of course, the Christian life is hard, but it's just wrong to focus on the struggle (especially the past struggle) instead of the NEWNESS. And if God has FORGOTTEN that I was *this* and did *this* and didn't do *this*, what right do I have to still characterize myself that way, or worse, to stay mired in it? How can I talk about it, or even think about it?

Yes, I called myself an inconsistent person last Tuesday. But this is a new Tuesday. I am a new creature. ;-)

Basically, this is what matters. Who is God, and does my life bring glory to Him? All forgotten things, and the opinions of others about my life- DON'T- they just don't.

Whatever YOUR characterizations are. "I'm such a slacker, I'll never get this project done." "I know I'll snap at *irritating coworker*." Think this instead. "I am a new creature. I am a new creature."

"For I will never leave you, nor forsake you."


4 comments:

  1. Hi Bonnie, I would like to thank you for something you said on Bubblews. Something triggered my memory about it and I remembered I had wanted to contact you about it. Someone made a post that wasn't true about me and you stuck up for me :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Ashley! I honestly don't remember, but you're welcome! I just followed you on there, so I don't know if I was just reading some of your posts without being connected.. but I am now.. thanks for visiting my blog :-)

      Delete
    2. Someone said that I had commented on their profile asking a question and they answered it and I never replied to say thank you for them answering it and they made a post saying I only did it so they would come to my profile when in fact I had simply forgotten (Bubblews isn't my life lol) and you commented on that posts saying maybe I'd forgotten which was the truth. It's been a while but I think some good karma should have come your way :)

      Delete
    3. Wow! Issues! And no problem. I'm happy to be of service. :-)

      Delete