Wednesday, April 29, 2015

Trademaster

Today I "read" Son, the only Lois Lowry book I hadn't read. Actually, I listened to it- that's the way I read these days.

I love Lois Lowry because 1. She has my mom's name so I can't possibly hate her 2. Her books are entertaining enough that it's hard to drag myself away from them and yet they are deep. Even philosophical.

Anyway, Son was amazing, as I naturally expected it to be. If you haven't read it, I don't want to spoil it for you, (since I'm sure you're headed to the library this very moment to check it out) so I'll just tell you the main idea- that evil can only be defeated by refusal to participate in it. It's a good thought, but it's wrong. If I refuse to participate in evil in Greenville, S.C., the evil around the world will continue. The evil men in the middle east will continue their Christian holocaust, and children will still be enslaved and forced to fight wars in Africa. (Okay spoiler here) Gabe's refusal to trade with Trademaster made Trademaster shrivel and die, like a wicked witch splashed by water. Since Trademaster was the embodiment of all evil, Gabe destroyed the devil- the evil one who stole his mother's youth in a single moment- and traipsed home to her, unharmed. This does not actually happen.

But I was thinking that Trademaster is really a very good picture of the devil. He deceives people into trading the best parts of themselves for the things that they want. The invisible qualities of much greater but less apparent value. Mentor traded his honor for youth and good looks. Other villagers traded their honesty and kindness for cheap entertainment. Then Trademaster watched, maliciously, as their lives fell apart.

Satan's the same way. If I could only realize his evil and vindictiveness all the time! He doesn't smell foul or hiss when he talks. But he offers terrible trades, and makes them look desirable. He offers a life of fun and comfort over a difficult one of laying up treasure for eternity. "Trade!" he says, and waits for me to say it back to him. And eternity is so abstract, so invisible and distant...

He holds out the temporary satisfaction of asserting myself for the long lasting (abstract, invisible, distant) impact I could have on another person. "Trade!"

The temporary happiness I'd get by listening to music for the long lasting wisdom of the Bible. Temporary entertainment for communion with God...

It's like that, with so many things... and it is hard. And it never ends. Trademaster was given a fatal wound by Jesus Christ, but he will not shrivel into nothingness because of our refusal to trade. He will never go away until the end of time. And that's why I need you, and you need me.

No comments:

Post a Comment