Thursday, February 12, 2015

Kayla Jean Mueller

I was really distressed to learn that Kayla Mueller, an American hostage, has been killed by ISIS. She was a humanitarian aid worker who was trying to help suffering kids in Syria- obviously a brave and compassionate lady. I wish that I could have known her. I would have tried to talk her into going somewhere else, somewhere safer, where kids were suffering just as much. But I would never, ever have blamed her for doing what she felt like she needed to do. As I heard someone doing on talk radio today.

I can't imagine the pain her family must be feeling right now.

She was an American. I hope that her death will be avenged. That President Obama will see his way clear to blowing ISIS to bits. I have my doubts. As Susan in Rilla of Ingleside would say, a pretty President!! But it looks like he is taking the first step toward war effort against them, so we shall see.

In the mean time, he should be apologizing to Kayla's parents for not rescuing their precious daughter when he had the chance. For the raid last year that was delayed... until it was too late. For being unwilling to pay a ransom to save her life. I know, we don't negotiate with terrorists. But guess what? We already have.

I didn't know about Kayla before today. She has inspired me. I wonder how many other people will try to carry on her work, helping the suffering. Because we know, as she said, that we have been given so much. 

In whatever way we can do it... it's the right thing to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment