Wednesday, February 4, 2015

The Known Soldier

(By me. My poetry is anything but perfect, but I hope you like it. :-)

They call you unknown, but I knew you.        
Knew you’d stifle the flare of my temper
With that lopsided grin, every time.
Knew you’d stay with me, babies and bills
Shovel the snow heaping up in December
Hang knotted ropes for our son to climb,
Puzzle over our daughter’s frills.

I knew the way your shoulders slumped.
You were young to face a hostile world
But you’d go out again, my ribbons on your lance.

Nights, you’d get your violin from where it hung.
I knew the black sky where white stars swirled
We’d put our babies down, and then we’d dance.
Hero of my romance, I knew you.

They call you unknown, but I knew you.
Knew when you held me and the ceiling swung close
Dizzy, I’d laugh, and you’d never let me fall.
Knew, holding your hand, I'd be safe
From growling dogs and flapping crows.

I knew you’d try to make me catch a ball
And when I was too young, you wouldn’t chafe
You’d say, “Someday, son,” with a lopsided grin
And walk me to the park instead.

You’d let me chase ducks, stand on the bank and laugh,
Watch as they dipped their slippy heads in.
Then you’d carry me home to my cozy bed
And stuff my window against the draft.
Guardian of my childhood, I knew you.

They call you unknown, but I knew you.
Knew all of your secrets. Once I blackmailed you
But you couldn’t hold a grudge for long.


I knew you’d fight bullies who called me names
And stole my lunch. You’d share yours, too.
I knew at night you’d play that song
We’d laugh and whirl around. We danced before you danced
With any of your flames.


I knew where to go when I couldn’t work my math
Do you know everything? I would ask.
You’d tug my braid with a lopsided grin.
I think, without you, I wouldn’t have passed.
I watched as you tackled each growing-up task
Freedom from our parents, the fight to fit in.
Role model of my teens, I knew you.

They call you unknown, but I knew you.
Knew you’d run to me with every bump and bruise
Until you didn’t want my kisses, and I cried.


But I knew you’d still come, when no one would see
To tell me your troubles. You wanted a truce
With the one or two enemies of your life
"I’ll be friends with you, if you'll be friends with me."

I knew your favorite meal, and the one in which I'd sit
Long after dark. Relentless, to the last lima bean.
I knew your stubborn side, but it made me glad
For you faced the fight, determined, with a lopsided grin.
I knew you'd send me roses, make me feel like a queen,
On your last day of school. I was proud, a little sad.
Son of my youth, I knew you.


They call you unknown, but I knew you.
Knew your heartbeat and the tempo of your breath.
Knew your every thought. I watched you that first day
They rocked you in a cradle. You'd do the same,
Hold two babies of your own before you faced your death.

You heard your country calling, and marched into the fray
Saw terrible things, and lost your grin.
But in the grimy trenches, I also called your name.
Child of my heart, I knew you.
Before the world was formed, I knew you.

No comments:

Post a Comment